Defining Agricultural Plastics

Agricultural Plastics include all plastics used in agricultural, home pest control, dairy, poultry and beef production, and excludes HDPE containers that carry pesticides for crop production use. Agricultural Plastics are divided into two areas: Rigid Plastic Items and Film Plastic Items. Efforts are underway by member organizations of the TPSA to channel recycling of these items into useful products and discourage burying or burning of these items on the farm.

Rigid Plastic Items

  • irrigation tubing
  • nursery pots & plug trays
  • high tunnels
  • bale net
  • polytwine
  • maple tubing
  • irrigation drip tape & tubes
  • tarps
  • bird netting
  • dairy chemical & pesticide (non-crop use) containers
  • low tunnels
  • bee hive bodies & frames
  • aquaculture supplies

Film Plastic Items

These are typically thin, pliable sheets or collapsible tubes made of low density polyethylene (LDPE #4).  In some instances, tackiness agents are added to make them stick together, however this alone does not hinder their recyclability. Some floating row covers and sun screens or shades are considered films, but typically are spun polyolefin or other custom formulated plastic, and may not be recovered in agricultural film recycling programs.

  • agricultural film
  • dairy silage bags
  • row covers
  • bunker silo covers
  • bale wrap
  • seed, feed & fertilizer bags
  • greenhouse & hoophouse covers